- Advocates for homelessness estimate that about 3 million people in the United States are homeless. This number is hard to verify because of the vague definitions of homelessness.
2. Homeless women are more vulnerable to many things than men while living out of a home. They experience higher rates of health problems and face a greater risk of sexual and physical assault than homeless men do.
3. Single women with children are the fastest growing homeless population.
4. Characteristics of Homeless
-43% of homeless individuals are substance abusers
-26% are mentally ill
-23% are veterans
-19% have full or part time jobs
-8% have AIDS or related illnesses
5. Homeless Demographic according to U.S. Conference of Mayors
-Single men make up about 48% of homeless
-Single women make up 11%
-Families with children fall around 38%
-Blacks make up about 53%
-Whites make up 31% of homeless
-Hispanics fall around 12%
-Native Americans see about 3%
-Asians only make up 1% of homeless
6. Two of the main problems that individuals run into that lead to homeless are poverty and the need for affordable housing.
7. Several homeless individuals leave their homes to escape abuse. These victims of abuse are more vulnerable to poverty.
8.ANYONE can become homeless.
Information taken from:
Boes, M., & Wormer, K. (1997). Social Work with Homeless Women in Emergency Rooms: A Strengths-Feminist Perspective. Affilia, 12(4), 408-426. doi:10.1177/088610999701200404