By Marisa Bordowitz
- There are many theories involved in social work – most, if not all, of which have their roots either in psychology, sociology, political science, and education. (DiNitto & McNeece, 2008, p. 30)
- One of these theories is called the ecological systems framework. This entails examining every system in an individual’s life and considering potential interventions for at least one of these systems. It assesses a person as someone evolving and reacting to networks. (Vassello, J.D., 2016).
- Social workers also invest in a theory called the strengths perspective. The strengths perspective suggests that all people have strengths glazed over by the powers that be. A social worker will help develop individual’s realm of strength in hopes to inspire wise progression and positive changes. In essence, they work towards augmenting competence or capacity. (Vassello, J.D., 2016).
- Which profession do you surmise provides the most mental health services? If you answered “social workers!”, you’d be correct. Social workers issue more mental health services than “psychologists, psychiatrists and psychiatric nurses combined”.(General Facts About Social Work, 2007)
- I formerly thought that most, though not all social workers were employed by the government. Apparently that is a common misconception. 67 % of licensed social workers are appoited in the private sector – or a part of the national economy not supervised by the government. 17 % of social workers are also in private practices.(DiNitto & McNeece, 2008, p. 26)
- On average, most Master of Social Work students are women! (DiNitto & McNeece, 2008, p. 18).
- Social workers have more responsibilities than you’re probably aware. They must be culturally accepting, with a broad understanding of ageism, classicism, racism and other ranges of latent and blatant discrimination (an example of latent discrimination being micro-aggressions and blatant being direct oppression). (Vassello, J.D., 2016).
- To become a licensed master or clinical social worker (LMSW, LCSW), there are a series of requirements. Aside from necessary application, examinations, fees, etc, the department must consider the prospect of “good moral character”. (Education Law, 2010).
- Social workers have a broad scope! They are located in “hospitals, police departments, mental health clinics, military facilities, and corporations.”(General Facts About Social Work, 2007).
- Social workers do not help people. They “help people help themselves”. (Vassello, J.D., 2016).
DiNitto, D. M., & McNeece, C. A. (2008). Social work: Issues and opportunities in a challenging profession. Chicago, IL: Lyceum Books.
Education Law Article 154, Social Work (2010).
General Facts About Social Work (2007).
Social Work History (n.d).?